Here the latest key developments at a glance:
- Infections in the US state of Texas rose by 10,351 on Saturday to 250,462 in total, the highest single-day increase in the state since the pandemic started.
US president Donald Trump has appeared in public wearing a mask for the first time during a visit to the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center outside Washington, after previously refusing to wear one and ridiculing some who did.
- Brazil, the world’s second biggest coronavirus hotspot after the United States, recorded 1,071 new deaths from the outbreak on Saturday, taking the total official death toll to 71,469.
- Michelle Bolsonaro, the wife of Brazilian president Jair Bolsonaro, who is sick with coronavirus, said on Saturday that she and her two daughters had tested negative for the virus.
- Thousands of Israelis were protesting in Tel Aviv on Saturday against the government’s handling of the economic crisis caused by the coronavirus pandemic, resulting in violent clashes with police.
- The British government has drawn up a list of 20 councils in England facing the worst coronavirus outbreaks, with Bradford, Sheffield and Kirklees identified as areas in which localised lockdowns could be imposed.
- South Africa’s confirmed coronavirus cases have doubled in just two weeks to over 250,000.
- Lebanon’s number of new coronavirus infections increased for a third consecutive day to a record 86.
- Florida’s Walt Disney World opened to the public for the first time in four months, despite a surge of coronavirus cases in the state.
That’s all from me, my colleagues in Australia are going to take over now. Goodnight!
at 7.03pm EDT
at 6.32pm EDT
at 6.05pm EDT
Highest single-day rise in cases in Texas
at 5.13pm EDT
at 5.11pm EDT
at 3.47pm EDT
at 3.35pm EDT
Lebanon sees new daily infection record
at 3.16pm EDT
Thousands attend protest in Israel
at 3.15pm EDT